Internet and computer use is just about universal today and addiction to their use bare many of the hallmarks of other forms of addiction. Just because you use the Internet or a computer a lot – watch a lot of YouTube videos, shop online frequently, or like to check social media does not mean you suffer from internet or computer addiction.
The trouble comes, as with other addictions, when these activities start to interfere with your daily life. In general, Internet or Computer Addiction Disorder is subdivided into varying categories. The most commonly identified categories of Internet or computer addiction include gaming, social networking, email, blogging, online shopping, and inappropriate Internet pornography use.
Some researchers suggest that it is not the amount of time spent on the Internet or computer that is particularly troublesome – rather, it is how they are being used. That is, the riskiness of computer or Internet use can be just as important as the amount of time spent.
What are the signs of Internet or Computer addiction?
- Unusual preoccupation with the idea of getting back online
- Feelings of irritability and restlessness when not online
- Lying about the amount of time spent online
- Persistent headaches caused by too much screen time
- Carpal tunnel syndrome caused by excessive use of mouse and keyboard
- Persistent fatigue due to lack of sleep.
- Euphoric feelings when in front of the computer
- Unable to keep schedules
- No sense of time
- Avoiding doing work
Help with Internet or Computer addiction.
If you think you or your loved one may be suffering from a internet or computer addiction, call to talk about the signs of gaming addiction and your individual situation.
Call us now on 0800 1404044 or get in touch here.