Porn or pornography addiction is a condition in which an individual has an unhealthy relationship to graphic/explicit sexual materials. Porn can include magazines, books, videos, movies, graphic novels, or any other medium in which sexual acts and or sexualised images are explicitly depicted. Consuming pornography does not automatically mean that an individual has an addiction to porn.
What are the signs of Pornography Addiction?
- Increased isolation from family, friends, spouse, and/or sexual/romantic partner.
- Negative consequences in professional, family, relational, functioning.
- Preoccupation with accessing/consuming porn, including secretive behaviour, scheduling, and strategizing.
- Feelings of shame, fear, self-disgust, and/or being out of control.
- Substantially decreased or increased desire for sexual activity related to the amount of porn consumed.
- Increasing desire for increasingly explicit pornographic materials.
- Feeling unable to control/manage consumption habits.
- Dishonesty or secrecy with others regarding the quantity and nature of porn consumption.
- Decreased intimacy and increased objectification of others.
- Planning life/activities/finances/relationship activities around porn consumption.
- Forgoing previously enjoyed activities/relationships to consume porn.
Help with Pornography Addiction.
If you think you or your loved one may be suffering from Pornography Addiction, call to talk about the signs of Porn Addiction and your individual situation.